Work Requiring A Certified Renovator

What Type of Work Is Affected?
In general, if you are a contractor of any trade (building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, etc.) and your job in a home built prior to 1978 requires you to disturb lead based paint, certification is likely required by the EPA. Activities that may disturb lead based paint can include (but are not limited to) sanding, cutting, scraping, demolition, renovation, and installation of materials or appliances.

There are exceptions to the EPA’s ruling when this certification is not required to perform work and below is a general guideline of those instances.

The EPA RRP rule does NOT apply if the work you are performing meets one of the following criteria;

- Work is a lead abatement project.

- Work performed consists of minor repairs to maintenance or installations that disturb less than 6 square feet of painted surface per room for interior activities, or less than 20 square feet of painted surface for exterior activities excluding window replacement, demolition, and projects involving prohibited practices.

-Work is in housing that has been determined to be free of lead-based paint either by certified inspectors or risk assessors, or the components being renovated have been determined to be free of lead-based paint by a certified renovator using an EPA recognized test kit.

- Work is in a zero-bedroom dwelling (studio apartment, dormitory, etc.)

- Work is in housing for elderly or disabled and no children under six years old reside or are expected to reside there.

If any of the conditions above are met (meaning you answered YES) then the RRP program requirements do NOT apply and your work does NOT require a Renovator certification.

All other instances of work, repair, maintenance, demolition, renovation, and painting, the RRP certification and program requirements apply.

Certification Process
As of April 22, 2010 contractors are required to obtain this certification by:

1. Obtain training to learn lead safe work practices.
Training must be from an accredited EPA training provider for renovators under the EPA's RRP Program.
If you previously completed an eligible renovation training course you may take a 4-hour refresher course instead of the 8-hour initial course from an approved training provider.

2. Submit an application and fee to the EPA.
The EPA has up to 90 days after receiving the completed application required for certification to approve or deny the application.

What If I'm Not Certified?
If you perform work that would require you to have a lead RRP Renovator certification and you fail to obtain that certification prior to starting work, the EPA has the authority to issue fines. The EPA has the authority to seek civil fines of $32,500 per violation and an additional criminal fine of $32,500 plus jail time for knowing and willfully violating the RRP requirements. The EPA may also suspend, revoke or modify a firm's certification if the Certified Firm or Certified Renovator is found to be in non-compliance.

Contact Our Office
Please contact our office if you have any questions regarding this course or call us at 1-888-252-6045.